Archive for the ‘Problems resolved’ Category

Normal access to resources restored

May 25, 2017

The problems we were having with access to resources earlier this week have been resolved, and you should be able to access resources as normal. As ever, of you do encounter any difficulties, don’t hesitate to get in contact with the Subject Help Desk.

“Your connection is not private”

May 11, 2017

If you see the above message when trying to access resources, fear not! You are not about to have all your details stolen, and you can still access resources. We have recently updated our security certificates, and if you see this message, clear your cache and try again.

 

ProQuest databases working as normal now

May 9, 2017

With a degree of caution, I am pleased to report that off-campus access to ProQuest database is working as normal again. If you do have any further problems, don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Subject Guides back to normal

April 11, 2017

Very pleased to report that all Subject Guides are back to normal and fully accessible again.

Back home with OUP Journals

February 21, 2017

The – frankly bizarre – problem we were having with OUP thinking we were in Estonia, and not the University of Bolton, as been resolved.

Hopefully no more e-resources tourism now…!

Wiley Online Library seems to be working again

February 17, 2017

It looks like Wiley Online Library is working as it should now and you should be able to read and download journal articles to which we have access again. As ever, if you do have any issues accessing journal articles, don’t hesitate to contact Subject Help.

MyiLibrary working as normal in Chrome

February 16, 2017

I’m delighted (really: it’s been a funny old time for resource problems) to report that the problems we have been having with accessing ebooks on the MyiLibrary platform in Chrome have been resolved, and everything should be working as normal.

On the subject of MyiLibrary, we’re aware of the difficulties you have been having with accessing these ebooks off-campus, and are hoping to put in place a solution to this once and for all. Keep an eye on this blog for further news!

One problem gets resolved; another surfaces: Taylor and Francis journals working again – new problems with linking to ScienceDirect from Discover@Bolton

February 7, 2017

We’ve managed to replace one resolved problem with another today… The problems we were having with Taylor and Francis journals have been resolved and you should be able to access these journals as normal. However, we now have problems with accessing ScienceDirect journal articles from Discover@Bolton. This problems appears to be affecting many users across the globe. It has been reported to the supplier and it is hoped will be resolved as soon as possible.

Ebsco databases all fixed!

November 7, 2016

I’d like to say it was something I did, but it would seem that the problems we’ve been having with Ebsco databases this afternoon have been resolved – looks like a temporary glitch somewhere in the system. As ever, if you do find that you are unable to access electronic resources, don’t hesitate to get in touch!

Discover@Bolton working properly now!

October 14, 2016

The problems we were experiencing with Discover@Bolton yesterday have been resolved, and you should be able to access the service as normal. If you do encounter any further problems, don’t hesitate to get in touch!